The elderly need so little



The elderly need so little, but they need that little so much.




My Uncle Manohar Singh ji and his wives my Aunts had no children of their own, so they adopted me as their own son. I grew up spending much time with them. I was doubly fortunate for I have had two sets of parents to love and guide me.
'Bei ji' my paternal grandmother, a very tough but loving lady also stayed with us and greatly doted upon by my Uncle.

My Uncle would spend quality time with Bei ji every morning and evening. God knows what they discussed, but it was important for them to spend that time together. 

I asked my Uncle why he invested so much time with Bei ji.
He replied, "I
have seen my mother slog to bring us up. She fought the whole world to ensure we grew up right, survived several wars and conflicts. She is not only a mother but she is a heroine.

In fact all parents are heroes, but we children usually fail to see the obvious. One day you too will realise this I hope. Then he gave me a 'mantra' (powerful and magical words), full of love, dignity and wisdom, which I have imbibed in my own life,

Remember that the elderly need so little, but they need that little, so much.

Always treat without any expectation of reward, the elderly, 

  • with respect not tolerance
  • with love not pity
  • with patience not anger


If you do this you will in turn learn to love and respect yourself. You will blessed with good fortune and happiness, the value of which cannot even be measured.

I followed Uncle Manohar Singh ji's advice, and I have learnt that he was absolutely right.  Problems and crisis keep coming but they abate after a short  time. Good fortune also comes but stays much longer.

I don't know how or why, but this miracle thing works.

Comments

Popular Posts