How they live and why they die?

Tribute to the immortal soldiers.




We both left home at 18.
You cleared JEE,
I got recommended
You got IIT,
I got NDA.

You pursued your graduation degree
I received the toughest training
Your day started at 7am and ended at 5pm
Mine started at 4am till 9pm, and many nights were also included.




You had your convocation ceremony,
I had my 'Passing out parade'
The best corporate hired you, 
and, best pay package awarded.



Indian Army jawans in freezing water save people in Kashmir



With 2 stripes pinned on my shoulders.
I was ordered to join my 'Paltan'
You got a job
I acquired a way of life.






You often got to see your family,
I just longed to see my parents soon.
You celebrated festivals with lights and music,
I celebrated with my comrades in bunkers.



We both got married, 
Your wife got to see you everyday
My wife just wished I was alive.
You were sent on business trips
I was sent to the line of control



We both returned,

Both our wives could not control their tears, 
You wiped hers, but I could not
You hugged her, but I could not ....


With medals on my chest I lay in a coffin wrapped in our beloved tricolours





Though we both left home at 18,
My life ended, so that all yours may continue.


__________________________




It is well that war is so terrible, 
otherwise we should grow too fond of it.


Like most Indians I am against violence. 
Unlike many people I believe that we must possess enough strength and spirit to deter bad people and nations from causing harm.  

Much can be learnt from the teachings of the 10th Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh ji. 
In spite of losing everything including his father, sons and numerous followers, never did he seek revenge nor indulge in a war of aggression. Guru ji merely defended himself and those who sought his support or were under his protection. He moulded the Sikhs into one of the most respected and loved communities in the world.
  • To be courageous like a lion but to be gentle as a dove. 
  • To live as a saint but when needed be a noble and fearless soldier
  • To always be able to defend oneself with valour and dignity. 
  • To protect the defenceless from the oppressive. 
  • To shelter and feed the needy.
  • To always be loyal to be true.  
This also describes the philosophy and the belief system of the Indian Armed forces and of every Indian soldier.
__________________________


Abbreviations: 
IIT - Indian Institute of Technology
JEE - Join Entrance Examination
NCC - National Cadet Corp

I am grateful to Mr. Vinay Kapoor for this contribution



Comments

Popular Posts